£1m payout to injured pupils in Worcestershire
Posted: December 4, 2014
Posted in: Public Place Accidents
Pupils across Worcestershire received more than £1 million in compensation in 2013. A Freedom of Information request uncovered that last year alone, a total of six claims were made against the county council, and a significant amount of compensation went to a middle-aged pupil who fell on a school trip in 2009.
The council said it would not disclose any information regarding the individual claims, over fear of identification, but said that they were all valid claims. A total of £1,091,082 was paid out to pupils aged 5-18 between 2011 and 2013. However, the vast majority of that figure was paid out in 2013, with the amounts for 2011 and 2012 standing at £3,850 and £47,450 respectively. The figures showed that nothing had been paid out to pupils so far during 2014.
90% paid by insurance company
The claimant that received the highest payout was a pupil who fell from a height, suffering a severe spinal injury. The Health and Safety Executive confirmed that the accident happened at the Malvern Hills Outdoor Centre in June 2009. The county council ran the centre when the accident happened.
It was heard that 90% of all the payouts made by the council were paid out by its insurance company.
According to stats published by the HSE, between 2005 and 2010 there were 35,041 reported accidents involving children. The figures reveal that the majority of accidents occur during PE lessons and break time.
« Father sues hospital over baby death
Medics charged with manslaughter of 6 year old disabled boy »