Shrewsbury explosion victims receive compensation
Posted: February 1, 2014
Posted in: Personal Injury Public Place Accidents
Following the Shrewsbury gas explosion in 2010, the 11 injured have received compensation. The gas explosion occurred on the 3rd of January at the corner of Bridge Street and Smithfield Road, leaving 11 people with severe burns and injuries. An investigation was carried out by the Health and Safety Executive shortly after the accident, and found that the reason behind the explosion had been a gas leak. Nobody was held responsible for the incident, as there was no evidence of safety legislation being breached.
One sufferer, 23-year-old Sarah Pearse, described the settlement as a “weight off my shoulders”. Mrs Pearse suffered 65% burns in the explosion and spent three weeks in an induced coma at Selly Oak Hospital following the accident. The settlement – the size of which has not yet been disclosed – will be paid by the National Grid and BT. It was agreed between the National Grid and BT that they would compensate the victims as they “suffered considerable hardship and injury”. This was settled in April 2011.
Those injured in the accident said that the compensation agreement had put their minds at rest. Ms Pearse said: “It’s nice to not have to think about it anymore”.
The National Grid and BT made a recent statement affirming that the details of the settlements would be “confidential”.
A Shrewsbury Architect’s firm is currently planning to build a restaurant on the Bridge Street site.
« Multimillion-pound payout to 10yo girl who suffered brain damage from medical negligence
Family sue over injuries sustained at Apollo Theatre »