Mother awaits answers from abulance service following asthma death
Posted: October 29, 2014
Posted in: Medical Negligence Wrongful & Accidental Death
The mother of an 11-year-old boy who died after being treated for his asthma in an ambulance says that she is still waiting for answers over a year after her son’s death. Jack Gray suffered a severe asthma attack at his home last year, and was taken to hospital by ambulance. Ambulance paramedics treated Jack both at his home and on his way to the hospital.
The attack happened on the 30th June 2013 and an ambulance arrived within minutes of his mum, Barbara Gray, phoning emergency services. While paramedics attempted to treat Jack at his home, his condition only deteriorated. 19 minutes later he was taken to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary.
Upon arriving at the hospital Jack had no heartbeat, and despite being resuscitated, he had gone without oxygen for so long that he fell into a coma. Jack died four days later.
“still trying to piece together what happened”
Mrs Gray said that even 15 months after the death of her son, she still has unanswered questions concerning the treatment he received in the ambulance. She said: “We still trying to piece together what happened … We’ve struggled to get details of meetings about Jack, we’ve had to struggle to meet staff to get answers for them directly.”
The North East Ambulance Service said that the CCTV footage of the day was wiped from the system long ago. This is due to the Data Protection Act, which prevents the service from retaining video recordings for more than 30 days.
Joanne Baxter, from the NEAS, said that a meeting has been organised between Mrs Gray and the ambulance paramedic involved. She has also been appointed a family liaison officer.
« Nine rail workers had a ‘near-miss’ with passenger train
Doctors’ licence renewals deferred after review of midwifery service »